Considered to be one of the most common sexual problems faced by men, premature ejaculation (PE) is said to occur when a man discharges semen during or after just a few minutes of foreplay/penetration. For the man, it means that he climaxed sooner than he wanted to, often leaving him emotionally distressed and his partner, sexually dissatisfied.
A consensus of experts at the International Society for Sexual Medicine believes that ‘ejaculation which always or nearly always occurs prior to or within about one minute’ should be termed as premature ejaculation.
Though PE in general remains the most common form of sexual dysfunction in males, around 2% of men worldwide experience ‘primary’ or ‘lifelong’ PE, the most persistent form of early ejaculation.
Most experts agree that PE is caused mainly due to psychological reasons and not physical or medical reasons.
Few examples of psychological factors include –
- Relationship stress
- Lack of sexual experience
- Intimacy and control issues
- Feelings of guilt
Meanwhile, few of the factors that fuel primary/lifelong PE are –
- Early conditioning
- Traumatic experiences/sexual abuse
- Strict sexual upbringing/teaching
In rare cases where PE is an effect of a biological issue, following could be among the possible medical reasons –
- High blood pressure
- Drug overdose
- Alcohol addiction
- Thyroid problems
- Prostate disease
Prevention and treatment:
Since most instances of PE are a consequence of psychological causes, the chances of improvement are very high in the future. In most cases involving relationship issues, the problem generally gets resolved as the relationship matures.
Having said that, here are some effective techniques to help you from PE –
- One of the best techniques to delay ejaculation is to masturbate and orgasm a couple of hours before the sexual intercourse
- Practicing Kegel exercises helps in strengthening the pubococcygeus (PC) muscle that contracts during orgasm. Next time when you are in the bathroom, try stopping the flow of urine using your PC muscle. If you can clench and release it repeatedly (3 sets of 10 seconds each), you should be able to control your ejaculation too
- Another common method is the ‘Stop-Start’ technique. You masturbate to the point of ejaculation and stop just before you do. This should be repeated 3-4 times and you can ejaculate the 5th time. With enough practice, you will be able to gain control over your orgasm
- The ‘squeeze’ technique is another effective method that can be used to stop PE. During the sexual intercourse, as soon as you reach orgasm, pull out and gently squeeze the end of the penis. Stop having sex for around 30 seconds, and then start again. Repeat this till ejaculation.
If you are suffering from primary or lifelong PE, we suggest that you consult with an expert physician for prevention and medical treatment of the same.
Do try these techniques out and let us know if they helped you have a great night of love and passion!